 Marketplace / Shopping / 10658
Re: Wal-Mart in USA now sells "LEGOS"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2003 02:33:26 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.market.shopping, Stéphane Simard wrote:

   Personally, I never understood Lego’s big fuss over the use of the term “Legos” for their products. (Or any Lego fan’s big fuss, for that matter). They tried for 25 years (maybe more) to tell people to stop using the term, yet people still do. People are just too used to quick terms. Barbies. GIJoes. Hot Wheels. Legos. It has a ring to it.

Your examples are not analogous. More like “Xerox” or “Kleenex” or “Rollerblades”. These company’s brand names have fallen victim to the equation of a product, but not necessarily their product.

Personally I just don’t understand what the fuss is all about. No matter what happens anyway, people will always know that only the LEGO company makes “Legos”

Not true at all! If “legos” becomes synonymous with “building brick”, then in the public’s eye Mega-Bloks sells “legos”!

   so I don’t see how their precious brand name is diluted.

Though it may sound peculiar, the most important thing to The LEGO Company is the name “LEGO”. That is their brand, and it is the value of that very brand that gives the company its worth. Everything they do is directed at building up that brand name.

JOHN

Okay I never really understood why any one puts a big fuss, but I do understand where they come from. As far as saying Lego or Legos. There was an article in the Arizona Repulsive about lego. The reporter kept saying legos. I remember a number of people calling in to let her and her editor know that you can’t say Legos. It is Lego Bricks.

Oh well does it really matter as long as you enjoy the end result.

Larry