 Marketplace / Shopping / 10101
Re: Target clearances greater than 75% off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:59:13 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Maggie Cambron writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Kevin Johnston writes:
However, Target stores WILL go to around 85-90% if there is sufficient
overstock.  I have seen this several times in the toy section, though I
wouldn't call it common at all.

(The 75% off "absolute rock bottom" cited among many toy collectors is a
myth. It's just that the vast majority of stuff WILL sell at 75%, and the
next level rarely needs to kick in outside of seasonal stuff being blown
out.)

I was under the impression that a price ending in the number 4 signified
the final markdown.

Yep, I've heard that a lot; this factoid and the "75% off is final" factoid
were/are very common among the action figure crowd.  However, the 90% discounts
I can recall came after a 75% markdown ending in 4, and themselves ended in 4.

I recall a Target employee once posting that prices ending in 4 represent a
transition into some "zone" of pricing, but I can't recall the details (the
"just call us Crazy Eddie" zone, I guess).

But:

... That is, until the Hagrid's Huts, which at $6.98
were 75% off.

Well, there you go.  Whenever someone tells you something about retail pricing
is set in stone, put your skeptical cap on...

Kevin