 Marketplace / Shopping / 10065
Re: Target clearances greater than 75% off?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:36:17 GMT

In lugnet.market.shopping, Adrian Drake writes:
In lugnet.market.shopping, Jon Palmer writes:
I ask this because a month or so ago I found one 7127 AT-ST for 66¢.

Now I have a few sets at Target waiting for me that are now hovering at the
75% off range.

Has anyone *ever* noticed incredibly low prices on sets at Target?  I'm
curious because if the AT-ST is any indication, there just might be a final
rock-bottom price that kicks in for sets that have been around a while after
the clearance has ended.

All replies welcome.

Not on Lego, but they do that with Christmas merchandise.  After christmas
it starts at 50%, then moves to 75%, then 90%.  I think I saw a few items at
95% come February, but after 90% they probably either trash the merchandise
or sell it to some bargain retailer like Odd Lots or Value City.  If only I
was lucky enough to find Lego at these sorts of displays, but it typically
disappears in a great big hurry when clearanced around here (I blame the
Cefaratti's and their Bricklink store).

   You can blame me for what happens around Detroit.  I
   typically score big--*very* big--at a couple of Targets
   on the first day of 75%-off. This year they moved to 75%
   a week early; I happened in the next day and spent perhaps
   $500.  In previous years I've spent as much as $800 or
   $1000 between my four target Targets (hee hee).

   So they're not legendary discounts at all--you just have
   to be willing to visit a lot of Targets (usually ten or
   twelve at minimum), take stock of what's there, make mental
   notes about their level of organization and diligence in
   tagging discounts and moving them to clearance aisles, and eye
   them carefully with regards to the discount timing.  Because
   I can guarantee you, someone else out there is doing the
   same thing, and unless you are diligent, they'll clean it
   out while you're snoozing.  (This is where it helps to be an
   academic on break, which means I can actually show up at 8 a.m.
   on several successive days and even beat others to it who
   are just as diligent but encumbered by those annoyingly
   demanding "job" things, e.g., Larry.  Not this year, though;
   I'm heading back to Africa by the 4th of January so any
   clearance stuff I buy will have to be bought at 30% or 50%.)

   I'm amazed you found an AT-ST, though.  I didn't get any of
   those for more than 30% off last year.  They were clearanced
   in last Christmas's cycle.

   all best

   LFB, bargain-hunter extraordinaire