 Marketplace / Shopping / 10
Re: Target clearance level to 55%; Walmart, 50%
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:48:50 GMT

Mike Stanley writes:
What ticked me off today, but what might end up working to my
advantage in the long run, is that 95% of the clearance Lego items
were moved to the very top shelf (I'm talking ladder height here) of
one aisle, most of the obscured by "Clearance" signs.

Excellent tip... I see this in my area as well at WMs.

A Target tip that new bargain-hunters might not know: always scan down the
endcaps at the back end of each toy aisle.  Stuff piles up there, fairly
randomly, during the chaotic few weeks after the holidays.  It can even pay,
especially in early January, to wander up and down every aisle looking for
random items with red tags.  While some things are in good supply enough to
wait for massive discount, the occasional random train at 40% off is reeeeally
hard to pass up.

In my area, and this seems to be pretty common, next-level discount progression
at Target takes place mid-week.  Three weeks is the most common time I've seen
a discount level last, but it's not set in stone.

As Mike said, WMs can be really unpredictable-- if a manager gets it in their
head to blow something out, they'll jump ahead in the markdown progression, and
sometimes even pile up the goods on a rack at the front of the store to bring
it to shopper's attention.  Nothin' to do but check regularly.

Kevin