 Marketplace / Shipping / 572
Re: Is LEGO considered a 'collectable' for insurance claims ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:31:14 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, David Laswell wrote:
In lugnet.market.shipping, Ray Sanders wrote:
I am currently pursuing a claim for a LEGO set (a 7127) which was (somewhat)
crushed during international shipping. This question was asked of me by the
postmaster where I am attempting to file a claim. I was left with the
impression that being a 'collectable' might make the claim more likely to be
paid, but I have no idea.

Sounds reasonable to me.  If it's a collectible, the packaging affects its
value, based both on condition and rarity.  If it's not a collectible, the
packaging is just meant to contain and protect the product until you're
ready to remove the product for personal use, and it can still do that if
it's somewhat crushed.  If the bricks themselves were damaged, you'd have a
clear claim regardless of whether it was a collectible or not.

Which kinda goes back to my basic question... What makes one LEGO set
'collectable' and another not ? Is it age ? Is it appreciation above MSRP ? Is
it availability ? Is it box condition ? Is it desireability ? Other than age,
most of those are intangiables which may change from day to day.

How and when is something considered 'a collectable' ? And how do I go about
explaining to the Post Office why a LEGO set in a sealed good box is worth
more than a LEGO set in a sealed but crushed box ?

Did you pay more than MSRP for it?
Probably not. Like most BL resellers, I get stuff when its on clearance, then
retained it until such time as it sold at a fair markup.

If so, show them proof of the MSRP and proof
of your purchase price, and that should go a long way to proving your point.
Also, you can point them to Bricklink's pricing history for that set, as well as
providing the release year (it's more than 2-3 years old, so you couldn't
reasonably expect to find another copy locally at MSRP, and it's no longer
listed on S@H in the US).

Just keep in mind that full reimbursement might
require you to surrender the damaged goods.

Oddly in this case it does not. This being a 'partial claim' (approx 20% of the
insured cost of the original shipped package, the other items survived). The
USPS IMM[1] says that for a 'partial claim' the office accepting the claim
should inspect the item and then return it to the person making the claim. My
comment to them was "if they make a full payment, either of us could just donate
the crushed set to Toys for Tots at christmas time".

I mean, if you were going to rip
open the box and throw it away, why should they pay you full cost for it if
the box is the only thing that was actually damaged, but still let you keep
the rest of the set?

Understood, and thats a small part of the dilemma here. Once you open it up to
see what happened inside, then its no longer MIS(but crushed)B. A box in good
physical shape gives you a reasonable expectation that the contents inside are
in good shape. A Box like this does not. IMO, that would have a negative effect
on the (resale or otherwise) value.

There are several different themes floating around my head in this discussion.
What should a reseller reasonably (and ethically) expect when something like
this happens ? I bought it at one price, it retailed at a different price ($10),
the average BL sale price is higher still (~$21), the average BL offer
price(~$28) and the price I actually sold it for. Which one counts for more ?
Also keep in mind, that the buyer may have decided to purchase mine at a
slightly higher price, because I could supply the combination of items he wanted
in one order.

Once upon a time, 7140's were going for astronomical prices until LEGO reissued
it as 7142. That caused the market to drop out. Is a 7140 worth more than a 7142
?

I wonder if the issues I am encountering here are also the same issues as those
involved with valuing an AFOLs personal collection. Especially if the AFOL has
MISB sets in the collection. Valuing loose parts is a whole different animal.

At the end of the day, I now have to substitute a good 7127 (from my dwindling
stock) for the crushed one to make good on the order. So I have one less to sell
at an appreciated price. From my perspective, and since the package was insured,
I would think that I am due restitution (for my percieved loss). If they fail to
do so, then my only recourse is to part out the set and see what I can get for
the contents. Like many sets (which are becoming HTF), I doubt that the contents
are worth as much as the MISB set was.

Ray

[1] USPS International Mail Manual, sect 925

.fut added appraisal