 Marketplace / Shipping / 571
Re: Is LEGO considered a 'collectable' for insurance claims ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:20:30 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Ray Sanders wrote:
I am currently pursuing a claim for a LEGO set (a 7127) which was (somewhat)
crushed during international shipping. This question was asked of me by the
postmaster where I am attempting to file a claim. I was left with the
impression that being a 'collectable' might make the claim more likely to be
paid, but I have no idea.

Sounds reasonable to me.  If it's a collectible, the packaging affects its
value, based both on condition and rarity.  If it's not a collectible, the
packaging is just meant to contain and protect the product until you're ready to
remove the product for personal use, and it can still do that if it's somewhat
crushed.  If the bricks themselves were damaged, you'd have a clear claim
regardless of whether it was a collectible or not.

How and when is something considered 'a collectable' ? And how do I go about
explaining to the Post Office why a LEGO set in a sealed good box is worth
more than a LEGO set in a sealed but crushed box ?

Did you pay more than MSRP for it?  If so, show them proof of the MSRP and proof
of your purchase price, and that should go a long way to proving your point.
Also, you can point them to Bricklink's pricing history for that set, as well as
providing the release year (it's more than 2-3 years old, so you couldn't
reasonably expect to find another copy locally at MSRP, and it's no longer
listed on S@H in the US).  Just keep in mind that full reimbursement might
require you to surrender the damaged goods.  I mean, if you were going to rip
open the box and throw it away, why should they pay you full cost for it if the
box is the only thing that was actually damaged, but still let you keep the rest
of the set?