 Marketplace / Shipping / 570
Re: Is LEGO considered a 'collectable' for insurance claims ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:11:51 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Ray Sanders wrote:
I am currently pursuing a claim for a LEGO set (a 7127) which was (somewhat)
crushed during international shipping. This question was asked of me by the
postmaster where I am attempting to file a claim. I was left with the impression
that being a 'collectable' might make the claim more likely to be paid, but I
have no idea. How and when is something considered 'a collectable' ? And how do
I go about explaining to the Post Office why a LEGO set in a sealed good box is
worth more than a LEGO set in a sealed but crushed box ?

If the answer to the second question is "it is worth more", then, in my view,
the item in question is a collectible. If it is "no difference" then the item
isn't.

LEGO is not fungible this way. Some LEGO items ARE collectible... an Airport
Shuttle Mint in a Sealed Mint Box is quite collectible. A Sith Infiltrator in a
banged up box, or loose out of its box, is not very collectible. (and a random
bag of 100 new white 2x4s is even less so)

So is a 7127 MISMB worth more than a 7127 MIS(but crushed)B? I guess you could
go to various selling sites and determine the relative pricing.

If it in fact is NOT worth more, then you have no basis for a claim because no
economic damage was done, right?

The LUGNET Guide shows this was a 10 MSRP set, and fairly recent, so it may be
not much of a difference in value at all.

Hope that helps.