 Marketplace / Shipping / 350
Re: Bad experience with Customs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:06:40 GMT

There is some steps that can be taken to avoid duty taxes or even better, the
opening of the box.

No steps need to be taken to avoid duty on Lego entering the US--it isn't
dutiable.  And I in general agree with James concerning the ethicality of doing
everything possible to get around paying import duties.  As for avoiding having
the box opened, the person who mailed it declared it as "used toys", which I'm
sure greatly increased the probability it would be opened.  It served as a good
(but painful) reminder that it DOES matter what one writes on the customs
forms!

1- On the type of goods, select gift. That doesn't really say it's a gift but
it makes clear this is a transaction between two individuals as opposed to a
transaction between an individual and a commerce for which the later is
taxable.

This is how I read the form, too, until I just looked it up on the USPS web
site.  "None of the above", i.e., not checking a box at all, is what you're
instructed to do if the item is neither a gift (which is elsewhere referred to
as unsolicited--not even trades fall under this definition), nor merchandise
(which I don't interpret goods changing hands as the result of a private
transaction to be, though I could be wrong) nor a commercial sample.  So at
least in the US none of the boxes should be checked on the customs forms, if I
read things correctly.

2- On the value put NCV. This stands for "No Commercial Value" this mean that
you are acquiring this good for personnal uses and you won't resell it at a
profit - so there are no taxes for that.

Not according to most countries' customs regulations.  I believe Germany, for
example, treats gifts differently (DM100 limit for gifts, DM50 otherwise), but
everything else is treated the same, and even gifts are dutiable above the
DM100 limit.  Same for the US, except as mentioned above it doesn't matter for
Lego because construction toys aren't dutiable.

3- On description put Lego toy blocks. Do not put the set number of every sets
if there are many sets. This prompt them to open the box and doublecheck
everything.

Good advice--except I think it works better to write "Construction Toys/Lego"
for stuff entering the US.  I think I looked this up awhile ago on a Customs
website, and Construction Toys was the official (non-dutiable) category.

Alan