 Marketplace / Shipping / 349
Re: Bad experience with Customs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 21:20:24 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Eric Lanteigne writes:

Having done dozens of transactions abroad, I've had a few cases where customs
were involved. However, nothing has ever been destroyed and you should
actually seek compensation from them for that.

There is some steps that can be taken to avoid duty taxes or even better, the
opening of the box.

1- On the type of goods, select gift. That doesn't really say it's a gift but
it makes clear this is a transaction between two individuals as opposed to a
transaction between an individual and a commerce for which the later is
taxable.

Time for me to chime in with the standard "Sorry, that's called mail fraud"
line.  If you choose to mark things as a gift that aren't so, odds are
you'll get away with it, and 99.9% of the time, Customs won't even know or
care, but that doesn't make it any more legal, nor advocating it in a public
forum any wiser.

I guess that makes me a stiff-necked jerk to keep pointing that out, but
it's a peeve with me.  If you're going to do it, or advocate it, you should
be aware of it's legality.

2- On the value put NCV. This stands for "No Commercial Value" this mean that
you are acquiring this good for personnal uses and you won't resell it at a
profit - so there are no taxes for that.

This may vary by country.  Items coming into Canada, for example, are taxed
(7% GST) based on what you paid for the item, and it doesn't matter why
you're buying it.  I believe the "value" being requested on most Customs
form is meant to be what you paid for it.

James "stick-in-the-mud" Brown