 Marketplace / Shipping / 348
Re: Bad experience with Customs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shipping
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:23:45 GMT

In lugnet.market.shipping, Alan Demlow writes:
Hi.  Yesterday I received my MISB 7824 from Holland, only to find that the
shipping container had (apparently) been opened by Customs, although
there's no marking on the box indicating this is the case.  When I opened
everything up, it appeared that Customs had used a carpet knife or some
such thing to rip the container open to check the contents, and in the
process shredded the front of the 7824 box.  I'm not one to keep MISB sets
sitting around, and it appears that all the pieces are OK, but I'm still
pretty ticked off about.  Has anybody had an experience like this before?
Does anybody know where to complain?

Alan

Hi,

Having done dozens of transactions abroad, I've had a few cases where customs
were involved. However, nothing has ever been destroyed and you should actually
seek compensation from them for that.

There is some steps that can be taken to avoid duty taxes or even better, the
opening of the box.

1- On the type of goods, select gift. That doesn't really say it's a gift but
it makes clear this is a transaction between two individuals as opposed to a
transaction between an individual and a commerce for which the later is
taxable.

2- On the value put NCV. This stands for "No Commercial Value" this mean that
you are acquiring this good for personnal uses and you won't resell it at a
profit - so there are no taxes for that.

3- On description put Lego toy blocks. Do not put the set number of every sets
if there are many sets. This prompt them to open the box and doublecheck
everything.

Hope this help.