 Marketplace / Services / 62
Re: International Money Order
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 10:59:50 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Matthew Karius writes:
In lugnet.market.services, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:

I buy from Canad frequently...I just get the International MOs at the Post
Office...EXCEPT for Germany, which is a long involved and expensive story....

Would you please give details regarding Germany.  I'm trying to complete a
transaction and the seller would like an IMO.  I've checked with a bunch of
banks but they don't sell IMOs.  I had another deal with a different seller in
Germany who accepted a "regular" money order from a local bank which claimed
its MO's were accepted internationally.  I'm going to follow up with him to
make sure he could cash it okay and if so will propose a MO from the same bank
to the second seller.  But how does one go about getting an IMO for Germany?

Thanks,
Matt

I got some great sets from germany a couple years ago through friends in the
Military...sometime since then...say about 1.5 years, the Post Offfce
stopped processing IMOs for Germany...I have only used IMOs purchased at the
Post Office due to the inconvenient placement of banks in my area...I can
not speak to the bank issues knowledgably...

I would have preferred to use Larry P.'s service bt the seller was unfamilar
with it, and a little hesitant..

My last experience w/ Germany involved a personal check, which took 20 days
to clear...this was a large dollar purchase too...My balance in my checking
account at one point dipped to $1.75 under the check dollar amount during
the processing of my check...resulting in the only "bounced" check I ever
had...this alarmed the seller as well as me...I had to pay an additional $10
German bank fee, write a new check, and incur a $38 Bounced check fee from
my bank...

Long story short....I don't know where you can get an IMO that will be
acceptable in germany, and I can't accurately speculate what the processing
fee would be for the IMO you entioned.  You can use a personal check, but it
takes a week for it to get to Germany,up to a month to process, and most
German sellers have to pay $10-$20 to process your personal check (which is
usually added to your balance)  the process can be prolonged and annoying.
This in no way reflects on German sellers who have great merchandise...I
have sent cash on occasion, but I am very leary of makig a habit of it...

I commend the seller I dealt wih...he was truly patient...the ordeal soured
me on the process but not on German sellers or their merchandise...

For me the hassle was largely my own creation, but my last experience has
turned me away from such transactions for the moment...

I hope my comments are not discouraging or in any way construed as insulting
or derogatory towards any of the people I have dealt with...most of my
experiences were good, but until the process is improved, I will wait to
buy.  As stated before, I contributed much of the hardship myself...I offer
this anecdote in the spirit that no one will make the same mistake that I
did...essentially being a bonehead by not keeping larger balances in my (no
interest because my bank stinks) checking account = )