 Marketplace / Services / 34
Re: International Money Order
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 09:19:12 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

Frank Filz wrote:

Richard Marchetti wrote in message ...
Hey y'all:

Someone on eBay, having posted that payment must be made by money order, • now
insists on international money order. Point being, how much does an
international money order cost for U.S. to Canada transactions?

Such a shame, it seems that most Canadians are able to cash the USPS
domestic money orders. Any Canadians know how the system actually works
(since the domestic money orders say right on them that they may only be
cashed in the US).

Sellers should specify that an international money order needs to be used
since it does cost a lot more. It's probably wise to inquire before bidding.

It also takes time.  Time time time.  I was here in Manhattan looking for an IMO
from a reputable institution (oh, the seedy ones will sell you one, all
right--good bloody luck, roll your dice and move your mice) and the USPS said
that an IMO would take four weeks; Chase Bank said two weeks; and Citibank said
three weeks.  So I ended up getting Sterling in bills and mailing money, which I
really really really hate to do.  It's amazing that in New York you can't get a
money order in another currency from a multinational bank in less than 14 days!

However, it turns out that Barclays Bank had a branch in NYC, which I didn't
know until I got an IMO drawn on them sent to me--and from talking to them later
I found out that they'd do it because they're a British bank.  So if you can,
find a major bank with a local branch, and they may very well be able to produce
one on the spot.  However, it's a real pain if you don't live near a major
coastal city (read East Coast).

However...Canada Post money orders in US dollars are cashable in the US, no
trouble.  I could not get a MO converted to $Can though, without going through
the four week labyrinth.

best

Lindsay

I buy from Canad frequently...I just get the International MOs at the Post
Office...EXCEPT for Germany, which is a long involved and expensive story....