 Marketplace / Services / 415
Re: eBay searcher?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 21:30:58 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Thomas Garrison writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Kyle Keppler writes:
I was just thinking about how great it would to have a program or script or
bot that allows you to enter around 50 *different* search terms, searches
eBay's lego listings, and then emails you the results once daily.  I don't
know much about programming, but this doesn't seem like a very complicated
task.  This idea came to me today because I got tired of entering each set #
separately and each set name separately when I was searching eBay for
Futuron sets.  Since this doesn't seem to be a very radical idea, I have a
feeling that this may have already been done. (This program could benefit
non-AFOLs too.)  If you know of such a program or website, then post the
link and I'd be very happy.

Has anyone found anything like this out there?  I thought Ebay's "Favourite
Searches" option might help, but for that you're limited to twenty-five
searches, and can only get e-mail for three of them.  I still can't find any
way of having some 'bot watch Ebay for a lot of different searches, and e-mail
the results.

<snip>

If your primarily searching for Lego set numbers, there is a way of overloading
the eBay search term to catch multiple set numbers. An example ...

(7110,7111,7115,7121,7124), in Category Lego

would kick hits on any of those star wars sets. This only uses one (of three
possible) search terms to generate email. I'm not sure what the limit is on the
length of the search term, but give it a spin.

Ray