 Marketplace / Services / 224
Re: Upcoming factoring changes due to PayPal fee structure.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 2000 20:03:00 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

I think I am going to have to institute some factoring changes beyond the
rebalancing I alluded to earlier.

Instituting that fee is fraught with peril as it may run afoul of the "cannot
surcharge for CC transactions" rule that both Visa and MC have, it has to be
carefully structured so that it is not in and of itself a credit card fee.
Probably an "administrative fee" or else a change in all other fees with a
discount for bank orginiated PayPal or something. Either that or raise ALL
fees so that I don't care about the haircut.

Since you already know the amount Paypal is going to eat I suggest you
simply add that amount to the factoring fees you are currently charging.
However, since they can be quite large that might make people use paper
(cheques/MO's) more, so you might want to raise those prices too to prevent
that from happening. But I'll leave that up to you ;-)

Eating a 2% (1.9, or 25 cents, technically) haircut  is unacceptable, there is
no margin in factoring as it is, I do it as a community service, for the most
part, and I am not going to lose money on transactions, I ain't THAT
charitable. Plus Josette would shut me down if she got wind of it, she wonders
quite loudly why I am doing it at all if there's no money in it and it eats up
significant chunks of my limited time at home.

Just charge it, either to the buyer or seller (or both), I think you should
rethink the fees so you play even or make a bit overall, you sure earned it
IMHO. Factoring is, and I think will remain to be, an excellent service for
a lot of folks that for some reason cannot or wil not use other systems as
BidPay, Paypal, X.Com etc etc. I personally don't mind the fees, specially
since I know that without factoring my costs would be triple or more (my
bank charges me $8 for sending or caching a cheque/MO and about $6 for
wiring money, exchange rates at the moment are terrible too) I was kinda
excited about Paypal coming to the Netherlands, but after all the new rules
it probably won't do me much good..
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.nl.3dgamers.com
3D Sims Archive maintainer   | http://www.3dgamers.com