 Marketplace / Services / 232
Re: Upcoming factoring changes due to PayPal fee structure.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:13:52 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Larry Pieniazek writes:
  <snip>
Instituting that fee is fraught with peril as it may run afoul of the "cannot
surcharge for CC transactions" rule that both Visa and MC have, it has to be
carefully structured so that it is not in and of itself a credit card fee.
Probably an "administrative fee" or else a change in all other fees with a
discount for bank orginiated PayPal or something. Either that or raise ALL
fees so that I don't care about the haircut.

  <more snippage>

OK, I understand that when someone has a 'merchant account' (with the
corresponding merchant agreeement), but something about what you said here kept
bothering me. So I went back and read thru PayPal's TOS. I don't see anything in
there about not allowing a surcharge. Can anyone find it ?  Has PayPal
outsmarted the CC clearing houses and the major banks, or did they just miss
this.

Ray