 Marketplace / Jambalaya / 761
Re: Is Jambalaya a dismal failure?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.jambalaya
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 18:05:20 GMT

In lugnet.market.jambalaya, Allan Bedford writes:
Hello All,

Mookie <Mookie1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<38240F4E.5C5A11C6@worldnet.att.net>...
I think a week is pretty long too, You get at least 3 to 4 days warning
it's coming when someone sends for your address, that gives you some
time to pick out some stock you've got that you might be willing to put
in the box, the box shows up, you sort through it, think of your current
and future projects.. take out what you think you might need, toss in
your stuff, get the address of the next person, that might give you
another day or 2, and send it off..

Well, you may not always get any advanced warning. :) Someone on the tour

That would be my fault. :/
I've been spending most of my jambalaya time co-ordinating the boxes and doing
'background' stuff, and neglecting to tell people about it.  I'll try and get
better for that, but as has been the case most of the time so far, I'd rather
the box get out the door than wait on me e-mailing people.  I HAVE been careful
to always e-mail the first person on the Canada tour to let them know it's
coming, at least. (I think? I hope?)

was nice enough to list out all of the snail mail addresses in the box.  I

That woulda been me.  Everyone who signed up for a Canada tour was kind enough
to send me their snailmail address, so that I could figure out the best way to
use geography to our advantage, so I thought I might as well include that info
in the box, so people know where it's going/been.

was quite surprised when the mailman buzzed up to the apt. on Thursday.  I
had no idea that the box was enroute to me.  I have gotten things together
as quickly as possible and will have it back in the mail to the next person
(whom I have contacted in advance) by tomorrow afternoon.

I don't believe this project is a failure, if anything it was a learning
experience, and I have to admit I got some stuff I could use, maybe not
as much as what I put in. Though that's stuff I didn't have a use for in
any respect, yet I'm pretty sure someone else would have wanted. I think
it's a good idea to keep it going, Even if right now someone doesn't
want some of the stuff that's in the boxes, you have to remember we have
new people coming along all the time, and they might not have as big of
a collection as most of us do, and could really use some of those basic
bricks to finish something.  If there's a box that's turning into basic
bricks, and someone's willing to take those bricks and replace it with
other stuff, let me know on both accounts, we'll see what we can do to
change the inventory.

I can't imagine that this little venture is a failure on any level.  Quite
the contrary.  We're all meeting new contacts, seeing parts we may never
have seen before (I did).  And we're seeing a community in action.  Sure,
you've got some folks in the community who don't always do exactly what you
wish they would do, but hey, you get to see that people all over the place
have real lives, just like you.  I think that a few people keeping a box a
few extra days, and then offering a sincere apology, is a small price to
pay for the larger rewards that this experiment is offering.

Likewise.  I have been disappointed a bit in the boxes, but that's just because
they may have been overhyped (if only in my mind), and really, I think this is
worked.  We just have to adjust our expectations a bit to account for the real
world, especially when it comes to the time it takes these things to move.
Maybe things are different in the states, but it isn't unusual for airmail to
vary wildly in delay up here - sometimes it's there in 2 days, sometimes it
takes a week and a half.  Surface mail is more consitent, but slower.

On another note that seems to be coming up, I think the reason we
haven't seen much action in the boxes is because I think.. I'm not
positive.. don't we have 2 of them going through Canada right now? I
don't believe I've seen any of the Canadian people post anything about
having the box or what they might have taken or put in :( That Tour
should be ending soon though, so hopefully we'll start seeing a little
more action of how things are moving along again!

Hmmmmmm........ this almost sounds like us Canadians aren't posting as much
as our American friends.  Speaking for myself, it's certainly not because
we don't have anything to say.  :)  I did post when the box arrived (to
pinpoint its location) and I intend to post again once the box is in the
mail tomorrow (for a contents update).  All I can do is encourage the
remainder of the folks on the Canadian tour to continue to do our part and
post updates frequently.

On my part, I haven't actually taken much from the boxes so far, and while I've
put stuff in, it hasn't been all that spectacular - but I do think I've
increased value on the boxes.
On the one box where I did put a whole bunch of stuff in, I did post:

<http://www.lugnet.com/market/jambalaya/?n=547>

Keep them boxes rolling!

James
http://www.shades-of-night.com/lego/