 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 6609
Re: Wanted: Garage Doors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 02:53:31 GMT

Will,

That assumes that it will ever come up again.  We can all hope...

Actually, I was looking at this last night.  I went through and found
all of the sets that contain whole doors and mapped the years they
were available.  Based on the data from Tom Stangle's web site at:

http://www.vfaq.com/LEGO/garage/

Those years were: 1981, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1991, 1993, and 1994.

Basically, these years would correspond with some of the "high times"
for Lego town design standards.  That means if the juniorization trend
for Town (now City Center) continues, we will either never see garage
doors again, or we will see a newer, watered down version that isn't as
cool or extensible as the older ones (One piece?  Only one garage height
theoretically possible?).

Or we could see 'real' garage doors in another theme.  I'm still
hopeful...

More evidence?:
It's interesting to note that when you look at the years whole garage
doors were available, there appear to be two 'cycles'.  The 'cycles'
begin ten years apart, which *could* make it a generational pattern.
I.e. Lego may release some specialty parts a couple of times each
generation so that each generation of builders has a chance to add
them to their tool box.  I'm really reaching on this hypothesis, but
it's also wishful thinking, because that would mean we could see sets
with garage doors within the next two years!

Taking it a step further, when you map the availability of ANY garage
door parts, you get:

1981 - Whole Door
1983 - Whole Door
1984 - Whole Door
1985 - Whole Door
1986 - Whole Door
1989 - 1X14 only
1990 - 1X14 only
1991 - Whole Door
1992 - 1X14 only
1993 - Whole Door
1994 - Whole Door
1995 - 1X2 only
1997 - 1X2 only
1999 - 1X14 only

This data could be interpreted to mean that garage door parts start
showing up a couple of years before whole garage doors are made
available again, or it could be just random noise.  It the former is
true, then the fact that we have seen parts in the last couple or three
years lends more hope that we may see whole doors again before long.

Of course, the light at the end of the tunnel is sometimes a freight
train heading right for you, so I'm not holding my breath.  ;-)

- Greg

Will Hess wrote:

A set of two complete doors with red beams, trans-lt-blue middle
slats, and white bottom slats went for $52 on ebay the other day.

That's crazy!  For that price I'd just wait and get the set when it comes up
again...the going rate for it is about the same.

Will

Lego Beach Department of Emergency Services
www.crosswinds.net/~hokie

--

G. Crisp - gcrisp@mindspring.com

"Indian, indian, what did you die for?  Indian says 'Nothing at all.'"
-- Jim Morrison