 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 3722
Re: BEWARE of John DiRienzo
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 20:10:25 GMT

Kieran Brady wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Morten Løvåsen <ak-loe@online.no>
Newsgroups: lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 1999 2:51 PM
Subject: BEWARE of John DiRienzo

To the members of the LUGNET News Group

My name is Morten Løvåsen. I am an 34 year old Lego enthusiast from • Norway. I
have been collecting Legos for many years but last spring I run into • serious
problems and I want to publish this tragic story:

Among the members of the Lugnet News Group you will find a guy - John
DiRienzo. I got in touch with him the very first time at eBay. In may 1999 • he
run an auction for a MISB 4031 Fire Rescue Boat. I was the high-bidder, • and
the winning bid was in the amount of USD 105. We communicated by email, • and we
worked out a trading deal. I offered him 20 lego sets of the 1029 Tine • Milk
Truck - a Lego promotion set from the Norwegain diary Tine. The value was • USD
450 including shipping to the US. John DiRienzo commited to send me the • 4031
Fire Rescue Boat (USD 105), a MISB 6481 Light & Sound Construction Crew • (USD
45) and USD 300 cash.

<Snipped>

Thanks for reading this

Morten Løvåsen

When I read this post, I felt for a fellow-AFOL, who appears to have been
'stung', and I was glad to have the opportunity to become aware of a
'trader' who - it appears - seems to be a trader that is somewhat less than
straightforward to deal with. I understand that some trades & auctions run
into difficulties sometimes for whatever reasons, personal or otherwise, and
that these difficulties can slow the whole process down, or stop proceedings
altogether.
These difficulties can usually be resolved between parties by e-mail or
other communication.
But what I read from the original posting by Morten regarding his difficulty
in successfully concluding his dealings with John DiRienzo, was that John
appeared to be doing very little on his part to satisfactorily conclude his
trade with Morten. (On a personal note, this struck home to me as, while I
am not new to Lugnet, I am new to E-Bay and trading in general. I have a
number of trades 'on-the-go' at the moment and I would not like to be on the
receiving end (or should that be 'not-receiving) of a trade or auction where
the other party didn't come through on his part of a deal.
Anyway, this prompted me to e-mail John at the address given and in a simple
one-liner ask that he follow-through on his outstanding trades (speaking as
a fellow-AFOL & Lugnet-user).

I was very surprised to receive an e-mail from John today:

  Hi,
                   I am selling a large chunk of my collection right now, so
I can pay
                    several honest traders I owe.  Let me know who you are
so I don't overlook
                    you when I get some money.  If I owe you Lego, not
money, I will send it as
                    soon as I get things in order.   Thanks for your
patience, John

Apparently, John thinks he owes ME from one of his trades in the past (not
so).
So, it would seem that John is trying to make good on his not-concluded
trades and I would urge Morten to contact John soon and there might be a
satisfactory conclusion to the matter.
For whatever reason it took so long it is not any of my business, I'm sure
Morten & John will work that out privately, but IF this is concluded
satisfactorily, maybe Morten would send a follow-up to let us know that, at
least in this instance, John's name has been cleared on this particular
issue.

Sorry for being so long-winded on this but as a 'concerned' AFOL, I thought
I'd put my 2p-worth in!

Kieran Brady

As someone who has dealt with John in the past (and currently still owes him
some LEGO), I can say that he has had a tough time (medically) and I won't go
into details.  But I honestly believe that John will make everything right.  I
hope that he overcomes his medical battles, and wish him the best.  Would I
trade or buy from him again?  You bet!

Gary Istok