 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 36
Re: Q:International Shipping
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 7 Oct 1998 07:57:25 GMT

Todd Lehman wrote:

"Scott" <materiel@halcyon.com> writes:

I have received several inquiries into sets I have for sale from people
outside the US.  What are the most affordable means of international
shipping?  I looked at the USPS and UPS rates and they looked pretty
prohibitive.

I use USPS for all international shipping -- and never had any problems.
Airmail can get pretty expensive, though, and even Surface costs a bit to
Australia/NZ from the U.S., but...hmm...what other options might there be?

Don't forget about the small packet rate!  If the box is not too
large or too heavy, and doesn't contain correspondence, it can
go by the small packet rate.

For sending from the USA, he restrictions are:
maximum length: 24 inches
maximum length + height + thickness:  36 inches
maximum weight: 4 pounds  (to most countries)

Here's an example of the difference it can make.
A 3-lb small packet from the USA to Australia
by surface mail is $8.05, but the same package
by regular parcel post is $10.92.  Note that
sometimes the small packet rate can be worse;
the same package by air costs $23.65 by small
packet, but $22.72 by parcel post.

Get the "International Postal Rates and Fees" publication
from USPS for more information.

/Eric McCarthy/