 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 16401
Re: idea: beginner's (non-Train) electronics kit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:48:48 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Joe Strout wrote:
I'm looking to add some simple electronics to my LEGO layouts -- a porch
light here, a motorized gizmo there, nothing fancy.  I don't want to
invest in a train set just yet.

But apparently, buying only from LEGO.com, there is no way to do what I
want -- the only useful electronics sold these days are in train sets or
robotics sets.  A kind poster in lugnet.parts recommended the following
items:

(In article <I29718.wHB@lugnet.com>,
"Rob Hendrix" <rob.removebeforesending@msltc.org> wrote:)

Power supply:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=70931

Train speed regulator (to connect power supply to LEGO wires):
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2868b

Reversing switch:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6551

Smallest LEGO motor (extreme low speed, not much torque - there are other
motors, not as small):
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2986

Light brick:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6035

Example of LEGO wire (many sizes are available):
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=5306bc015

I see a good opportunity here for a third-party reseller.  You could buy
a number of train sets, break them up, and put together a "electronics
starter kit" that would have the basics like the above for a reasonable
price.  The rest of the parts of course you would sell to other
enthusiasts (I'm sure the train folks need an extra train motor for
example).

LEGO is really missing the boat on this one, in my opinion -- if you
look at the dollhouse hobby, for example, you can buy all sorts of nifty
lights and wire up a house for $20 starting from nothing.  A LEGO town
isn't that different from an elaborate dollhouse in its electronics
needs, but there is nobody serving this market.

If anybody knows of a kit like this already for sale, please let me
know, because I'd like to buy it!

Thanks,
- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |
|    joe@strout.net           http://www.macwebdir.com             |

The thing is, all these Lego light/electric items are really expensive. Single
lights will cost $3-5, and a cable will be $2-$4. The transformers and speed
regulators you do should not buy at Shop at hom if money is tight, at Bricklink
they are less than 1/3 of the "retail" price. The problem is that a lot of
people like the lights, switches and motors. Therefore, they are very expensive.
If you want to add just a few lights, and just two or three moving things to
your layout, you're likely already talking $100 and up.
On the other hand, it is very cheap to make lights and such yourself, but you
must be willing to use non-Lego products, and be willing to mutilate Lego
bricks. LED's and regular wire are 5-10 times cheaper than lego lights and
wires, but it is rather time consuming to make those, so if you need someone to
do it for you, it jacks the price right back up there at the lego level (hence
there are not many third party sellers for this stuff). Thus, my advice is if
you do not want/can spend the money to buy Lego lights and such, do it yourself
with non-Lego products.

Paul