 Parts / 28
Re: idea: beginner's (non-Train) electronics kit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 19:31:33 GMT

In lugnet.parts, Paul Janssen wrote:

The thing is, all these Lego light/electric items are really expensive. Single
lights will cost $3-5, and a cable will be $2-$4. The transformers and speed
regulators you do should not buy at Shop at hom if money is tight, at Bricklink
they are less than 1/3 of the "retail" price. The problem is that a lot of
people like the lights, switches and motors. Therefore, they are very expensive.
If you want to add just a few lights, and just two or three moving things to
your layout, you're likely already talking $100 and up.
On the other hand, it is very cheap to make lights and such yourself, but you
must be willing to use non-Lego products, and be willing to mutilate Lego
bricks. LED's and regular wire are 5-10 times cheaper than lego lights and
wires, but it is rather time consuming to make those, so if you need someone to
do it for you, it jacks the price right back up there at the lego level (hence
there are not many third party sellers for this stuff). Thus, my advice is if
you do not want/can spend the money to buy Lego lights and such, do it yourself
with non-Lego products.

Paul

Years back I had started converting my 9v train engines for lights. The idea was
to light up some of the cars on a train. I used LEGO wire jumpers that I cut to
tap off the motor, but you can always use off the shelf battery holders and wire
it yourself. For connectors I used female .1" spaced PC connectors, similar to
those used to connect the switch and LEDs to the mother board of a computer. You
can use the PC board mounted part (male) as the other half of the connection, or
a jumper between two of the female connectors. The nice part is that these are
small, some even fit through a hole in a technic brick. They are also the
correct size to slip onto the shortend leads of an LED.

Mat