 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 16398
idea: beginner's (non-Train) electronics kit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.parts, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 2004 14:02:45 GMT

I'm looking to add some simple electronics to my LEGO layouts -- a porch
light here, a motorized gizmo there, nothing fancy.  I don't want to
invest in a train set just yet.

But apparently, buying only from LEGO.com, there is no way to do what I
want -- the only useful electronics sold these days are in train sets or
robotics sets.  A kind poster in lugnet.parts recommended the following
items:

(In article <I29718.wHB@lugnet.com>,
"Rob Hendrix" <rob.removebeforesending@msltc.org> wrote:)

Power supply:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=70931

Train speed regulator (to connect power supply to LEGO wires):
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2868b

Reversing switch:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6551

Smallest LEGO motor (extreme low speed, not much torque - there are other
motors, not as small):
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=2986

Light brick:
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=6035

Example of LEGO wire (many sizes are available):
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=5306bc015

I see a good opportunity here for a third-party reseller.  You could buy
a number of train sets, break them up, and put together a "electronics
starter kit" that would have the basics like the above for a reasonable
price.  The rest of the parts of course you would sell to other
enthusiasts (I'm sure the train folks need an extra train motor for
example).

LEGO is really missing the boat on this one, in my opinion -- if you
look at the dollhouse hobby, for example, you can buy all sorts of nifty
lights and wire up a house for $20 starting from nothing.  A LEGO town
isn't that different from an elaborate dollhouse in its electronics
needs, but there is nobody serving this market.

If anybody knows of a kit like this already for sale, please let me
know, because I'd like to buy it!

Thanks,
- Joe

|    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |
|    joe@strout.net           http://www.macwebdir.com             |