 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 13092
Re: Inquiring as to the value of a collection of Legos. (Tried posting on the appraisals, but failed.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 22:25:07 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Richard Marchetti writes:
I think you might do better to part the collection out, if getting good
market value is a factor.  You said "collecting dust", and if you mean this
literally it is not much fun to have to wash lego -- so despite condition
otherwise, that could be a problem for a buyer.  I would tend to think that
no one is going to pay collector value for sets that are missing elements,
have no boxes or instructions, etc.  Off hand, you may find someone who will
pay a per pound price for this, maybe not a very high price at that (there
are WAY to many variables with your collection as described -- no one could
really know what they were getting.)

-- Hop-Frog

I am one of those people who pay per-pound.  It is not my preferred way to buy
Lego, but I have done it dozens of times.

Since your collection is now merely a collection of parts rather than sets, it
is impossible to assess value.  Everyone will place a different value for any
number of reasons.

There is one thing that will help

***  P I C T U R E S  ***

If you do a bit of work and organize the parts somehow and take multiple
photographs, you will help buyers to see what it is you have to sell.  Do not
organize by color, as photos of piles of one color Lego are impossible to
distinquish.  Take time and display parts on a floor or table and then shoot
some picutres.  If you cannot tell what is in the picture, neither can anyone
else.  This method would be the least labor-intensive way to sell your Lego.

As you describe your Lego now, I am not interested in spending any money at
all.  Once you provide some pictures, I can asses how much your Lego would be
worth to me and I might easily offer you a sizeable sum.  Only with good
pictures would it be possible for you to get good money for your Lego.

__Kevin Salm__
....Lego enthusaist for over 20 years....

....Christmas is cancelled due to overspending on Lego....

.