 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 13077
13076  |  13078
Subject:
Inquiring as to the value of a collection of Legos. (Tried posting on the appraisals, but failed.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:26:35 GMT

I have a rather decently sized collection of Legos that has been collecting
dust for a while I would like to sell, but I am first trying to get opinions
as to what they would be worth in either auction or straight sale.  This
collection dates back at least ten years and consists of primarily Space (A
couple each of Blacktron, M-Tron, Spyrius, Exploriens, UFO, Space Police,
and Insectoids sets), Star Wars Classic Sets, Town (Various Sub Themes), and
a few oddball sets from the Technic, Pirate, and Castle collections.  Though
I have managed to keep a large number of the Lego components in good repair
and hold on to them, I have accidently lost or destroyed a few of the
smaller elements, and the majority of the Mini Figures and some of the
larger parts that I couldn't use at the time such as Boat Hulls and other
miscellaneous parts I gave away.  I also no longer have the boxes or
instructions for these sets as they have been lost, destroyed, or disposed
of.  This all in mind, since I originally had approximately one hundred and
thirty kits consisting of nearly twenty five thousand parts, and considering
the previous information, would selling them for half of their original
brand new state shelf value be equitable?  My collection's combined shelf
value new was approximately $2,500.00, so selling them for half price
translates into about $1,200.00 for the whole collection, or $1,500.00 if I
were to get 60% of the collection's worth.  This is taking the Lego's age,
condition, and composition into account as well.  Any opinions would be
greatly appreciated.  Thanks.