 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11475
Re: Guarded Inn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:04:10 GMT

timothy wade wrote:

Well, first of all, there are nowhere close to "few" original Guarded
Inn's. There were a huge number (anyone have a close to realistic guess?)
of them
produced.  There are at almost any given time more than one or two
available
for auction on eBay.  This set is not rare even in the realm of classic
Lego sets.

I'm not sure the exact numbers of 6067's created, I always thought it was
fairly small. Maybe I'm just buying into the myth...but it SEEMS rare.
Anyone have the numbers out ther?

What exactly qualifies a lego as being "rare"? I always beleived that if
something was rather hard to find, or expensive, then it was rare. I've
found ONE 6067 (with damaged instructions and no box) on eBay right now,
and how can we be sure that the price of $41.00 reflects a pre-rerelease
of the Guarded Inn? I don't think we can. So stating that you can find at
least one or two on eBay at a low price does not mean it isn't "rare".
This myth of Guarded Inn's MUST have come from someplace - why else would
it even be thought of as being rare. Just look at the excitment from
AFOL's when the re-release was announced! (Sure, some of that might have
been just the fact they were re-releasing, but a lot are excited about the
6067 release!)

I'm not sure where 6067 was originally offered, but in my book it ranks up
there with the Metroline Sleeper as one of the "rare" sets. Sure there are
some others that are "super" rare (1592 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/1592
and 107 http://guide.lugnet.com/set/107_2) but I've NEVER seen any of
those for sale, but I guess I qualify them in a different class all alone
becuse of the seemingly impossible task of finding one for sale.

I've seen a few 1592's go on eBay, usually over $100 depending on condition.
Metroliners too aren't really rare... I think it's more that most of the
sets were bought by people either for themselves or for their kids to
actually PLAY with them, not collect the sets.

As for 6067, I have the idea that it wasn't sold much in the USA, but it
was sold a lot in Europe, and it's certainly not "rare" over here. I've
seen dozens of them pass by at various auction sites, prices ranging from
about $15-$80, again depending on condition.

I myself am a player/builder, not a real collector so unless I find a used
copy for less than $20 I'll probably buy the re-issue. I just worry about
the bricks, not about collection value and stuff like it. No MISB sets in
this house, unless it's for sale/trade :-)
--
Jan-Albert "Anvil" van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net