 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11469
Re: Guarded Inn
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Sat, 16 Jun 2001 09:29:20 GMT

Makes perfect sense.

--
Jason King
LugNet #665

Mike Stanley <cjc@NOSPAMnewsguy.com> wrote in message
news:GEztCE.LDn@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Timothy Wade writes:
I was sitting here today, pondering about the re-release of the Guarded • Inn,
and it dawned on me (probably others happened across this thought many • moons
ago) about the price of the few original Guarded Inn's. Are they still • going >to
be wroth fractionally more to anyone due to the "originality" of having • the >box
and whatnot? Or will it depress the market to nearly equal values?

Well, first of all, there are nowhere close to "few" original Guarded • Inn's.
There were a huge number (anyone have a close to realistic guess?) of them
produced.  There are at almost any given time more than one or two • available
for auction on eBay.  This set is not rare even in the realm of classic • Lego
sets.

So while I think "original" sets might be valued slightly higher by some, • I
don't think it will be by much.  Certainly used sets won't be - who would
value a used set with all the flaws it would come with over a brand new • set
that in all practical ways is identical?

The only way I can see an original being valued *much* more highly than a
re-issue is if it is truly MISB, but ironically the only way I can truly
understand that is if the people who make that valuation decide to keep it
MISB.  If you plan on opening the thing and building it, what possible
difference could it make?  Would the "thrill" of opening up an older set • of
polybags be worth more than a few dollars?

I have my one original 6067.  It may even become my display model to keep
built.  But I won't be buying any other originals unless I get them for
*less* than the re-issues.  I value the pieces themselves, not the year • they
were created - if that makes sense.