 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11453
Re: Cream of the parts crop currently at GoB - Lions Gate Models [Brickbay}
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 10:30:33 GMT

"Kevin Wilson" <kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com> wrote in message
This seems to be a Web-interface artifact - the weird characters don't • show
up in a newsreader, nor are they in the file I sent originally. I'll keep
digging.

The =3D and other encoded characters are to do with having non-US ASCII
characters in the message; the sending mail client uses "quoted-printable"
encoding to turn an = to =3D, a carriage return to =20, and other encodings
of non alpha-numeric characters. If the message has the correct Content-Type
and Content-Transfer-Encoding headers when it's read by email or news it
will look fine, but if not then the message will have these encoding visible
as the reader doesn't know that the content needs "decoding". A web browser
also won't decode these as they are not HTML encodings, they are purely for
mail based systems. For a web based interface to work for all content types
it needs to be able to determine the message encoding type and apply the
appropriate reverse encoding to render the correct characters, which doesn't
appear to be happening here. If anyone needs some more information I'll
gladly try and help, I've run into this issue a number of times recently
where we have had problems with using the UK pound symbol (£) in emails and
it being displayed in mail clients as =A3.

Dan