 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 11004
Re: a different BrickBay issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 18:18:04 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Ray Sanders writes:
I just sent Dan an email concerning the status of BrickBay.
That email apparently gets forwarded to his local ISP in HI,
which bounced it back to me because of 'RSS rejection:
216.247.127.12 is an open spam relay'. So people expecting
emails from BrickBay (order distributions, etc) might want
to be aware that their ISP could screen them out.

<snip>

Hmmm. I wonder what Interland's part in all this is.

<more snip>

If you take the rejected IP addr and do a reverse at ARIN, it belongs to a
block assigned to Interland. So it seems that a server under Interlands's purvey
(my assumption here) has been identified as an open relay. This identification
appears to have have happened this morning as the rejected email was the second
of two that I sent via admin@brickbay.com. The first did not reject.

If I am following this correctly, it means that anyone receiving email from
brickbay.com (Dan and potentially others) would loose that mail via RSS spam
filtering as long as (a) BrickBay is on that IP address and (b) that IP address
is in the RSS database as an open mail relay. If your ISP is *not* using RSS
filtering, then this has no effect (mine does not at the momment, but will in
the near future).

I wonder if Interland moved brickbay to another IP as part of the recovery from
the recent interruptions.

Ray