 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 10999
Re: a different BrickBay issue
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 16:40:16 GMT

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Ray Sanders writes:
I just sent Dan an email concerning the status of BrickBay.
That email apparently gets forwarded to his local ISP in HI,
which bounced it back to me because of 'RSS rejection:
216.247.127.12 is an open spam relay'. So people expecting
emails from BrickBay (order distributions, etc) might want
to be aware that their ISP could screen them out.

You apparently sent email to a Brickbay address, and it apparently passed
through mailtmp2.registeredsite.com in being forwarded to Dan, and
mailtmp2.registeredsite.com has apparently been identified as an open relay.
That doesn't mean they're spammers, but since they leave their server available
for spammers, some systems (who use RSS - ask if you're really curious) won't
accept email from there. Dan's home ISP apparently uses RSS, so email sent from
Brickbay to Dan may bounce (and email you sent to Brickbay which was forwarded
counts as email from Brickbay to Dan) but mail sent from Brickbay to you will
only bounce if A) it passes through an open relay   and B) your ISP uses RSS.

Whatever means Dan uses to get Brickbay email forwarded to Hawaii passes it
through registeredsite.com, which, intentionally or otherwise, leaves its mail
server open for third parties to use. But Brickbay mail to its users doesn't
seem to go that route and should be unaffected. Email I've received from
Brickbay passes through interland.net (which is also registeredsite.com's
provider), but comes from a client called meridianet.com (who's physical
address is in Fairfax, VA), not from registeredsite.com (in Atlanta, GA - but
the street address looks fake).

Hmmm. A suspicious address and an open relay.

[spam investigation omitted for brevity]

Seems registeredsite.com has been a problem spam source for months. Some spams
originate from interland itself (probably dial-up customers), some advertise
sites hosted by interland, and some are third parties taking advantage of
registeredsite.com's open relay. No wonder registeredsite.com has been
blacklisted.

Hmmm. I wonder what Interland's part in all this is.

[spam investigation omitted for brevity]

They have been unresponsive to spam complaints for at least a year.
They themselves have spammed
They send jumk snail-mail to domain registration addresses
There are reports Interland has spammed email addresses they extracted from
spam complaints (unverified)

It's difficult to find a truly white-hat ISP these days, so I won't suggest Dan
find a new ISP, but given recent problems maybe he'll decide to do so on his
own. At the very least, I'd recommend he look into why his email is being
forwarded through registeredsite.com and figure out how to get it some other
way.

Amy