 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 70
Re: Problem with Brickbay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 01:46:12 GMT

Well, brickbay is still down. And just today I heard on the morning radio about
another DOS type virus running around. *SIGH*

Don't script kiddies have anything better to do than to proprogate viruses that
takes advantage of Microsoft's "EVERYTHING is bundled/tied in/held hostage by
the OS" business plan?

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Ray Sanders writes:
In lugnet.market.brickshops, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.market.brickshops, Ray Sanders writes:
... It almost felt like the server was under great load.

It probably was. My web log shows *thousands* of attempts by the latest worm • to
infect me.

While logged on thru earthlink last night, I turned on the personal web • server
on the iMac. The log was showing a nimda virii hit on average every 2-3 • minutes.
This was on a dialup port, which typically would have *no* port 80 server
active. I reversed a few of the IPs at ARIN. Most (all ?) of them were from
north america. Don't believe I saw one from anywhere outside of NA.

Dan relies on ASP, so he's more vulnerable to these kinds of
attacks.

I think the primary vulnaribility is IIS, but with this variant, it tries
multiple approaches to compromise the server. NIPC has a writeup here ...

<http://www.nipc.gov/warnings/advisories/2001/01-022.htm>

I hope people start billing Microsoft for this crap. I'm microsoft-free, and
their shoddy software can still kill my site with the volume of traffic these
worms create.

One has to wonder why so many worms target MS vunerabilities. Or is it • because
MS software has so many vunerabilities. All in favor of peer-reviewed source
code, say 'aye'.

Ray