 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 73
Re: Problem with Brickbay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:12:28 GMT

yeah, i'm gonna' go a hair off topic and rant a tad.

Ray Sanders wrote:

While logged on thru earthlink last night, I turned on the personal web server
on the iMac. The log was showing a nimda virii hit on average every 2-3 minutes.
This was on a dialup port, which typically would have *no* port 80 server
active. I reversed a few of the IPs at ARIN. Most (all ?) of them were from
north america. Don't believe I saw one from anywhere outside of NA.
I think the primary vulnaribility is IIS, but with this variant, it tries
multiple approaches to compromise the server. NIPC has a writeup here ...
One has to wonder why so many worms target MS vunerabilities. Or is it because
MS software has so many vunerabilities. All in favor of peer-reviewed source
code, say 'aye'.

Ray

Aye!

Well, I'm sitting here and averaging an IIS probe every 10sec.  This is
downright pathetic.  Forensically speaking, nimda is not very interesting.  It
ties together a number of different exploits for holes THAT HAVE BEEN REVEALED
and HAD PATCHES RELEASED PREVIOUSLY.  The only interesting bit was it's sheer
agressiveness.

And SP2 was what... 100+megs.  That's not an "update" that's a complete
rewrite of the core os.

There was actually a celebration here at work when SP3 was announced.  Wha?
Why is the release of another HUGE service pack a good thing?  Especially when
it'll break all of your hotfixes and they'll need reapplied once up install
the SP.  I would think that people would be happy if the quality was better
and these monolithic SP's didn't need to exist.

I'm proud to bs M$ free.  I can't stand ms.  I can't stand their pundits (it's
almost a religious fervor).  I can't stand their products (none of which
actually meet my needs).  I can't stand their attitude (monopolistic nothing'.
  they are downright condescending and overbearing).  And I can't stand the
mess their influence has made on the computing world.

I want whatever will do the job the best.  M$ products don't do ANYTHING I
need to do "best" or even "well".  At best their stuff comes up on the
downside of "almost passable".  And lets not get into the licensing, legal,
marketing cruft they push.  The only thing that currently fits my reqs. are
unix systems.

[M$ delivered a stack of FUD propoganda here yesterday.  You wouldn't believe
the blatant untruths that it claimed they "discovered" as to why w2k is so
much better than unix.  They must be looking at what was released years ago.
I'll shut up now and try to stop ranting.]

--
       David "Scooter" Lukens  O-  dml6@po.cwru.edu   KC8AGZ - Technician
   Remember to always look up at the sky, you never know what may be up there.