 Marketplace / Brick Shops / 68
Re: Problem with Brickbay?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.brickshops
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 22:47:15 GMT

In lugnet.market.brickshops, Amy Hughes writes:
In lugnet.market.brickshops, Ray Sanders writes:
... It almost felt like the server was under great load.

It probably was. My web log shows *thousands* of attempts by the latest worm to
infect me.

While logged on thru earthlink last night, I turned on the personal web server
on the iMac. The log was showing a nimda virii hit on average every 2-3 minutes.
This was on a dialup port, which typically would have *no* port 80 server
active. I reversed a few of the IPs at ARIN. Most (all ?) of them were from
north america. Don't believe I saw one from anywhere outside of NA.

Dan relies on ASP, so he's more vulnerable to these kinds of
attacks.

I think the primary vulnaribility is IIS, but with this variant, it tries
multiple approaches to compromise the server. NIPC has a writeup here ...

<http://www.nipc.gov/warnings/advisories/2001/01-022.htm>

I hope people start billing Microsoft for this crap. I'm microsoft-free, and
their shoddy software can still kill my site with the volume of traffic these
worms create.

One has to wonder why so many worms target MS vunerabilities. Or is it because
MS software has so many vunerabilities. All in favor of peer-reviewed source
code, say 'aye'.

Ray