 Marketplace / Auctions / 7484
Re: Help: ebaY Search Weirdness??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 12:48:17 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Mike Walsh writes:

Is your ISP caching it?  Do you have an alternate way to connect to the Net
to check?

I don't know, I never would've thought that the ISP would be
caching.  It's a very large nation-wide service operated by
a branch of "the phone company".  I don't know if that
makes it more or less likely that they would be caching.

Overlaid with this problem is the fact that I have DSL.  But
because I'm currently vacationing in an area without DSL,
I am using a local 56k dial-up line.  I had to change a few
of config settings to get the modem to lead instead of
the network card hunting for DSL.  But everything else
works fine.  Even if there is a settings conflict and the
modem isn't operating full on, this still doesn't tell
me where the files could be cached on my system, and
why forcing a reload doesn't over-ride them.

Something else I noticed is that the search result pages have
a meta tag in them called "EXPIRES ON" or something like
that.  The dates are set days after any given search
results are generated.  Maybe when these dates elapse is
why some pages are "automagically" updating after a few
days, and then get stuck again.  I don't know much about
this meta tag.

Something else I noticed:  I can clean out all cache files.
Then when I run an ebay search, a sub-dir with a funky name
appears in my cache dir.  In it are all the files related
to that page of search results.  And if there are a lot of
pages in the search results, then a sub-dir is created
for every single page.  Each one thus has its own meta
tag for expiry.  That's why I get date discontinuities
from page to page.  But I still can't for the life of
me determine where the data is coming from to populate
those cache sub-dirs.

I'll bug my ISP about net-caching...

KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada