 Marketplace / Auctions / 7482
Re: Help: ebaY Search Weirdness??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 2000 02:35:34 GMT

"Kyle D. Jackson" <flightdeck@sympatico.deletethisspamblock.ca> wrote in
message news:G6Czu6.A8q@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.market.auction, John Radtke writes:

I wouldn't worry about your machine.  The item I mentioned earlier as • being
missing from completed searches is also from the 24th.  It is still • missing
even though older and now more recent items as well appear in the search.
The item is stil out there - just not indexed the way it used to be.  For
what it's worth, my vote is that it is them, not you.

In trying to sort this mess out so that I can actually see recent
auction listings, I went through every single directory on my
machine and deleted anything that looked like a temporary or
otherwise unneeded file.  I deleted all caches, cookies,
temp internet files, garbage application data, history
data, "recent files", etc., etc.  And I even updated MSIE
to the latest version of 5.01 (too long to download 5.5).

It still doesn't work.

The only pattern I am seeing is that after I have used one
specific combination of search terms and settings on ebay,
the data gets permanently stuck on those results.  I can go
back and re-run that same search 18 million times (I have
tested this), and the search results will not be updated.  The
page date at the bottom is still stuck at the time when I
first did that search.

I can't for the life of me figure out where MSIE is pulling
all these bleedin' search results from.  And with lots of
returned hits for the searches, sometimes each page of
results are different.  With new listings first, page 1
may be for the 28th, page 2 for the 23rd, page 3 for the
28th again,...  Even each flippin' page (thus each search
url) has its own unique memory of what it feels like showing.
@!%##^#!&*@!!!!

ebay denies that any such data would ever get stored local
onto their systems.  So if it's coming from mine, then where
is it?  I wonder if it's burned into my swap file somehow,
and actually survives reboots?  And I wonder if it's the
complete data that gets stored, or just some pointer to
specific listings in the ebay database?

I think it's time for a complete uninstall/re-install of
the browser...

KDJ

Is your ISP caching it?  Do you have an alternate way to connect to the Net
to check?

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com