 Marketplace / Auctions / 6922
Re: "Buy The Brick"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 00:55:20 GMT

Agreed.

I think Steve's efforts look promising, and I think he deserves any
compensation he receives from it. I personally don't find the information worth
the price, and I'd certainly prefer NOT to be solicited as a result of using
Lugnet.

The quandry about Steve's offering is that those who could make the most use of
it probably won't know about it in the first place, and those who do know about
it probably won't find the information useful enough to purchase.

I guess I'd rather see the information available in an obvious place for
newbies, or for folks who rarely purchase kits. I'd certainly be willing to
enter the price I paid for any sets I've gotten, so long as there was no direct
corellation between myself and the purchase price.

If Steve would consider partnering with Lugnet, the owned sets database could
easily store date purchased and price paid (converted to US$ as a baseline) for
each set. Maybe Lugnet would allow Steve to maintain this portion of the
database and compensate him in some way, possibly through an extended service
fee charged to those who wanted to use the info?

...these are just some ideas on how to make this service more palatable and
accessible to those who would use it most...

But it's also important to realize that appears as though it will hurt sales
for eBay auctioners, and, I have a sense, they are the ones most violently
opposed to this. Nobody wants their profits to fade. I actually see this
resource as potentially helping them. People will pay whatever for what they
want. The same set of people ALWAYS sell the same hard-to-find sets on eBay,
and they always make about the same amount. Case-in-point: I just paid WAY too
much for a 8460 Technic Crane that I've wanted for a LOOONG time, but I wanted
it, and I could afford it. Based on what I saw quoted in the price guide, I
overpaid, so it neither affected my desire for the product, nor did it hurt the
seller's profits.

- Sean