 Marketplace / Auctions / 6825
6824  |  6826
Subject:
It's not cold feet, it's bid shielding
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 16:20:48 GMT

Rick,
That wasn't cold feet, that was 'bid shielding'. It's where a perp uses two
really high bids to protect an auction, then deletes one right before the end
of the auction. I reported the auction to safeharbor@ebay.com when I read this
thread last night. This morning I got a note from safeharbor saying the users
were suspended (check the bid history).

If you want to know more about unallowed bidding on eBay go here:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/investigates.html
Personally, I have found that safeharbor does a good job dealing with reported
offences. It took them less than 12 hours to respond to this one.

Some clues that something is amiss:
1) The $800 max bid mentioned in this thread is extreme, even for a MISB
shuttle.
2) The error bid being just $10 over that max is odd.
3) The bid was canelled just minutes before the end of auction.
4) The cancelled bidder didn't re-enter a corrected $310 bid.
5) The canceled user had signed up with eBay on Sept 25, just after the
auction began.
6) The canceled user began with a ID name very similar to the winning bidder &
changed it the same day.
7) The winning bidder has 1 feedback with 3 bid cancelations on other auctions.

This kind of activity hurts us all. It takes just a minute to look a bit
further & you can use the "mail this auction to a friend" link on the auction
page to send any suspicious auctions to safeharbor@ebay.com. They can't do
anything unless we let them know. And at least when I've contacted them, their
response has been positive.

I am available via the board or email if anyone has further questions,
Clark

In lugnet.market.auction, Richard F. Vendl II writes:
In lugnet.market.auction, Mike Walsh writes:

"Deadmaker" <Deadmaker7@aol.com> wrote in message
Here is another one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=448460395

I like this set, but not this much!

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

Looks like this guy got cold feet, however claims he entered the wrong amount,
although it still did prove that new top bidder's maximum bid was $800.00, • wow!

http://cgi6.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=448460395

Rick