 Marketplace / Auctions / 6655
Re: eBay as a venue (was Re: FA : 6399 Airport shuttle)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 18:40:52 GMT

I am a fan of straight Lego sales as well, and do the majority of my selling
this way.  As far as buyer protection, eBay does have Fraud Insurance,
although it's not fantastic.  Also, every buyer can see all bids at the end of
an auction, nothing is hidden.  As far as surpressing competition, welcome to
the world of business, I see nothing wrong with that considering it's their
venue, especially in the internet space.  I have made many purchases from eBay
for items I don't find anywhere else, and it has been of more value than just
Lego items.... it is a quick and simple resource to use that has alot to
offer.  I have only begun to look through BrickBay.  The private auctions I
was referring to are the ones people post to the newsgroup and run that way.

Scott Runkle
http://members.fcc.net/runkle/

As your "etc, etc, etc" implies, there are a lot of reasons to dislike
eBay.  They try to suppress competition (e.g. in the action against
the meta-auction server).  They penalize people for informing buyers
of other selling resources (e.g. when they cancelled Larry P's
auctions because he wrote where you could get certain sets cheaper).
They offer no support to enthusiasts of any hobby other than just
hosting the auctions.  And they can get away with these things because
they have a dominant market position.

I don't really see eBay's protections for the buyers carrying much
weight, either.  There are "Power eBay sellers" who abuse their
"power" by exaggerating the condition of their merchandise, knowing
that a few negatives won't outweigh the positive feedback they already
have.  I think an auction that is hobby-venue-based (e.g. Lugnet) by
someone who has built up a reputation at that venue is *more*
trustworthy than an auction from a power eBay seller who doesn't
specialize in the given hobby.

All that said, I still feel I have to bow to market conditions and use
eBay myself.  I wish it weren't so.

I am happy with what is happening on Brickbay.  It looks like it is
reaching critical mass.  I intend to open a shop there very soon.
Many of my eBay parts auctions have been getting only a single bid, so
why not do straight sales?  Also, I intend to inform my current and
future eBay buyers about Brickbay and I encourage all other eBay Lego
sellers to do the same!

Sincerely,
/Eric McC/