 Marketplace / Auctions / 6598
Re: Bad buyers on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 12:30:24 GMT

Christopher Weeks wrote:

In lugnet.market.auction, John Robert-Blaze Kanehl writes:

An interesting anomaly in my auctions...Most of my deadbeats are on Star
Wars items.

Hmmm.  I wonder if they're SW people and not really LEGO people and we have a
claim to better folks?  Or maybe it's just an oddity.  Since my auctions are
parts I don't get to see stuff like that.  It would be odd indeed if people
bidding on green plates were the most likely to default on their obligation.

It could well be that they're speculative Star Wars collectors and got
carried away with their sniping. Were the bids somewhat above average
with any evidence of two snipers duelling it out?

In many cases, it may be easiest to just offer the item to the 2nd
highest bidder if his bid is reasonable (and think about discounting it
some if it is a highish bid for the item, or just let them negotiate
backwards). The advantage of this may be that you only pay eBay a little
bit extra as opposed to paying them twice.

Another way to handle it is to specify in your item descriptions that if
you do not receive payment by the deadline for reporting a dead beat
bidder, you will do so. That in fact may be the best way to handle it.
If that deadline really is too short (I think it is), the slow payers
will make enough noise that eBay might actually consider extending the
deadline.

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com