 Marketplace / Auctions / 6584
Re: Bad buyers on eBay
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 17:54:42 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
Hi all,

As I mentioned the other day, I have a new auction running.  Part of why I took
so long to get it started is that I was still hoping to resolve the five buyers
who chose not to honor their bids.  I waited so long that eBay won't allow me
to place feedback and/or seek to get my money back from the sale.  Oh well.

But beware!

The following buyers either refused to return contact, refused to pay, or paid
in canadian funds and refused to make it right.

fmcgrann@megalink.net
frank.roy / frank.roy@expanets.com
beeper18 / lynn.v@ns.sympatico.ca
jewelj71 / jewelj71@aol.com
seahawk17 / lazarus@kiva.net

Part of me was hoping to see a couple of familiar names. I would love to
believe there are just a few people who are blowing off their
responsibilities.  Apparently, there are 5 more deadbeats to add to the
growing list on eBay.

I want to acknowledge two things here.  I am not the best buyer in the world.
I like to think I'm a pretty responsible seller, but I have bought stuff and
forgot to pay for it.  It happens.  But it's not good.  The other thing is that
there is some miniscule chance that I have wrongly accused one of these people.
If it ever comes to my attention that this is true I will post an apology about
it in response to this note.

Christopher Weeks
eBay merchant since 1996

In recent auctions, my deadbeat bidder list has dramatically
increased....Six months ago, I had no problems at all.  I had never posted
negative feedback. A month ago the percentage of bad bidders on 30+ auctions
was 20%+.  I have posted a couple of negative feedbacks, but I fear
retribution in my feedback as I post more of these.  Having "no pays" One in
Five auctions is way too high for me.

Granted, I don't run more than 30 auctions at a time (2-3 times a month),
but this is alarming, especially when the items are $20-$50 each.
Re-listing is a problem sometimes; the market value of the items sold can
drop signifacantly, compounding the problems.  As a matter of fact I have
one action lot 4 little Castle Wolfpack, dark forest+fright knights sets
that has been run twice, and both bidders didn't pay.

An interesting anomaly in my auctions...Most of my deadbeats are on Star
Wars items.

Overall, I have been especially satisfied by international bidders;  most of
my deadbeats are from the US.  For quite awhile, my eBay auctions led to
many non-eBay sales and trades.  This was a great little spin off of eBay.
However, a few people overseas have contacted me to obtain SW or Ninja fig
packs or other items and then disappeared.  I will only acquire these items
if I get half the money up front now.  I no longer offer to obtain items for
people I have not dealt with or communicated with extensively.

I wish you better look in your large auction this week
= )

                   John