 Marketplace / Auctions / 5862
Re: Weird Email Concerning eBay Fraud
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Thu, 25 May 2000 15:07:03 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey Y'all:Has anyone else ever received a notice from: stopfraud@eBay.com? I
don't know why, but receiving such a notice by email feels pointedly
UN-official and cheap.  A cursory look at eBay's Safe Harbor area doesn't
yield this email address either.  Is that a legitimate address?
I suppose I should mention that I was not the person named in the complaint,
so far I am only a bidder/buyer on eBay.  I do recognize the name of a user
of RTL in the body of the email, though.  At the same time, I don't think I
ever happened to be this person's "victim of fraud."  I fail to see how my
merely bidding in an auction involving this person in any way builds eBay's
case against him/her.  I mean, bidding only suggests that I believed in the
legitimacy of the auction (or is that the perceived damage itself?).
The person who won an auction is the one who got victimized.  How am I a
damaged  party in this action as a mere bidder? On another note: for some
silly reason I am annoyed that this person would prey upon us Lego nuts -- I
guess it points up the inherent foolishness of what we will pay for plastic.
I feel sullied.
Anybody else receive this notice?
-- Richard

In lugnet.market.auction, John Hadd writes:
I recieved the mail too. It looked funny to me as the lines were wrapped
poorly and it didn't have the "official look" ie.. clickable links etc. I sent
it on to Safe Harbor, we'll see if they do anything about it. John

Seems to be Legit, Here is the response:

Hello John,

Thank you for your inquiry.

I can appreciate your concern.

This is a letter that we do send out. Angela is the manager of the Fraud
division.

If any of the criteria on the letter match your experience with one of
the referenced members, please fill out the information and mail it to
the Postal Inspector. As your information would be very appreciated.

If you have any other concerns or questions please let us know.

Regards,

Kioni
Fraud Prevention Group