 Marketplace / Auctions / 5831
Re: Weird Email Concerning eBay Fraud
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 21:27:27 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey Y'all:

Has anyone else ever received a notice from: stopfraud@eBay.com?  I don't know
why, but receiving such a notice by email feels pointedly UN-official and
cheap.  A cursory look at eBay's Safe Harbor area doesn't yield this email
address either.  Is that a legitimate address?

I suppose I should mention that I was not the person named in the complaint,
so far I am only a bidder/buyer on eBay.  I do recognize the name of a user of
RTL in the body of the email, though.  At the same time, I don't think I ever
happened to be this person's "victim of fraud."  I fail to see how my merely
bidding in an auction involving this person in any way builds eBay's case
against him/her.  I mean, bidding only suggests that I believed in the
legitimacy of the auction (or is that the perceived damage itself?).  The
person who won an auction is the one who got victimized.  How am I a damaged
party in this action as a mere bidder?

On another note: for some silly reason I am annoyed that this person would
prey upon us Lego nuts -- I guess it points up the inherent foolishness of
what we will pay for plastic.  I feel sullied.

Anybody else receive this notice?

-- Richard

Yes, I have. Just a few minutes ago. I received two eBay id names, both of
which had auctions I have bid on. And both are no longer registered. One has
received 18 negatives within the past 6 months. The other, whose name I have
seen many times on Lego auctions, had only 3 negatives and over 50 positives.

Strange that eBay would do such a thing.

Rich
Looking for discontinued sets MISB?
http://www.brickfan.bigstep.com