 Marketplace / Auctions / 5836
Re: Weird Email Concerning eBay Fraud
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 22:45:29 GMT

In lugnet.market.auction, Richard Marchetti writes:
Hey Y'all:

Has anyone else ever received a notice from: stopfraud@eBay.com?  I don't know
why, but receiving such a notice by email feels pointedly UN-official and
cheap.  A cursory look at eBay's Safe Harbor area doesn't yield this email
address either.  Is that a legitimate address?

I suppose I should mention that I was not the person named in the complaint,
so far I am only a bidder/buyer on eBay.  I do recognize the name of a user of
RTL in the body of the email, though.  At the same time, I don't think I ever
happened to be this person's "victim of fraud."  I fail to see how my merely
bidding in an auction involving this person in any way builds eBay's case
against him/her.  I mean, bidding only suggests that I believed in the
legitimacy of the auction (or is that the perceived damage itself?).  The
person who won an auction is the one who got victimized.  How am I a damaged
party in this action as a mere bidder?

On another note: for some silly reason I am annoyed that this person would
prey upon us Lego nuts -- I guess it points up the inherent foolishness of
what we will pay for plastic.  I feel sullied.

Anybody else receive this notice?

-- Richard

My case isn't as flagrant a case of Mail Fraud...but I remember this lunatic...

I just got 2 of these emails...I got partially burned by melonfish
twice....at least.  Luckily I got my money back.  He had over 100 positive
feedback when I ran across his auctions (mostly for 80s era cds)  Many
times, he dumped large loads of desirable sets from pirates and Castle on
eBay, with only instruction scans or no pic at all.  Twice I won auctions at
a great price and sent payment immediately.  Both times My payment was
returned with a note saying "I am out of stock...Sorry"  He later changed
his eBay name and auctioned these items again, fetching triple the price.

A few of the people I have dealt with from Lugnet and eBay have paid and
never received product.  melonfish had more Postal packages go MIA than most
cities.  Some of the people I have done business with have received negative
feedback from him, even though he didn't ship their items and kept their
money...

He's slime..end of story.