 Marketplace / Auctions / 4347
Re: Should I have left Neg Feedback?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 03:31:03 GMT

D. Jezek wrote in message ...
I think you have done the right thing.  However if you really care about • your
own feedback and want it to stay stainless, you probably shouldn't.  That • is
because some people will get pissed when you leave them negative feedback • and
in turn leave you negative feeback just because you did it to them.
As an example, check out this guy's profile:
http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=66350
He has 17 negatives.  What's interesting is that for every negative someone
left him, he left them a negative.  You can see that by clicking on the
feedback of users that left him negatives.  This is an example what he left
after somebody left him a negative.  Quote:
"Complaint: fast and loose with negative feedback. Newbie flake. Loser!"
He never paid for his stuff in my auction and at first I was having second
thoughts about leaving him any kind of feedback.  But then I decided that a
negative is exactly what he deserves and wanted to leave him one, but he • was
no longer registered.

Some thoughts about retaliatory feedback.

eBay probably won't do anything, but ultimately, they are going to have to
improve their feedback system. If people become afraid to leave negative
feedback for fear of retaliatory feedback (and I have seen a few sellers who
ask you not to bid in their auctions if you have ANY negative feedback - but
then maybe you don't care about those jerks), the feedback becomes useless.

A reasonable person should check out the feedback of anyone who has left a
suspicious looking comment. Most retaliatory negative feedbacks are
suspicious, but sometimes it does become clear that the original negative
feedback was undeserved. You can usually tell if the person you are about to
interact with has earned the negative feedbacks or not. I tend not to bid if
the seller has deserved negative feedback.

Frank