 Marketplace / Auctions / 3523
Re: MEANING OF MINT IN SEALED BOX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 07:57:18 GMT

   I, for one, agree with Guy.   As an investment, Lego has done very well
over the past few years, and sealed sets (MISB) have realized the greatest
sale prices.  For example, a certain set that sold for $20 in 1987 now sells
regularly for $200 in used condition and has sold for over $400 in sealed
condition.  Other sets have had better rates of appreciation, and more
common sets have had lower rates of appreciation, yet it is undeniable that
sealed sets sell for the highest prices.  Like a stamp or coin collector, a
Lego collector desires the best condition possible, and the prices reflect
that.  Many Lego fans are not so picky, some merely want a complete
collection of sets to build with or display, yet there are some who prefer
sealed sets.  If you have the money to collect stamps, coins or comic books,
this type of collecting is not much different.  I think the rarity of some
old sets is quite obvious and the collecting or investing in such sets is
not at all irrational.   Anyway, I have consigned about 50 sealed sets to an
eBay dealer - you can see (or bid on) them here:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/blondevp12/

--
   Have fun!
   John
Aaron West wrote in message ...
In lugnet.market.auction, Scott Arthur writes:

guy merckx wrote:

Mint in sealed box is in my opninion the achievement of perfection in
collecting lego. It is men's nature to go for perfection.

Lets start with perfection in grammar... "man's nature!

For instance, people
who're collecting stamps are trying to have them unused. The values of • them
are also far more higher than ordinary examples. That's also the reason • why
lego collecting , seen from investment point of vue , is best done by
acquiring mint in box items. During my collection period, i tried to • have as
many as possible sets in mint and sealed condition. I 'm a strong • believer
that into the near future demand for rare unopened and sealed sets will
slightly keeping to increase and for that will be a  worthfull • investment.

You buy Lego as an investment then? If so I think you'd be better spending • your
money elsewhere. What I think MISB sets are great for is trading... as • they
are a
known quantity (i.e. I know they are complete and I know they are in good
condition).

Scott A

In addition, let me say that LEGO produces vast quantities of each set for • an
average 3 year run.  The supply is usually enough to satisfy demand.  After
the discontinuation of a set, a retail outlet may discount large backstock
heavily.  Therefore, I see no way to make great profit from selling MISB • sets
unless you run a retail establishment and can move a larger quantity.  If
you've got one of each of the sets you consider "investment", spend that
investment as it was intended and OPEN and BUILD!  The experience alone • would
be priceless.  Most people don't pay more that retail for each set on ebay
even.
Aaron