 Marketplace / Auctions / 1878
Re: FA: 48 sets - RARE trains, town, technic, pirates, castle, and accessories
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 19:31:29 GMT

John DiRienzo <ig88888888@stlnet.com> wrote:
OK Mike, you got me wondering, how much can you get me a sealed 6074 for???
I will buy another at the right price.  And while you are at it, I will buy
a lot of others.  I had an offer for $450 for 6085.  Is that 6085 or 6086 on
auction?

I'd say just because some random dummy with too money eating a hole in
his pocket is willing to spend $450 on 6085 that doesn't mean it's
really worth that.

We get random spikes like that every now and then, and then we get
vultures who swoop in and try to capitalize on it, not realizing that
the reason set XXXX went for double the "going rate" is because two
individuals (or more) caught the fever and drove the price up that one
time.

I've seen 6086 go for more than $300 in an auction one week then turn
around and go for $150 the next week.

I personally don't see the point in buying "sealed" sets unless you
want to keep them sealed, in which case what's the point?  Pictures
work fine to look at.  I don't mind buying opened and even played with
sets as long as I know what condition they're in.  After all, *I* am
going to open them up and play with them, so who cares?

Don't get me wrong, if somebody with either too much money or not
enough sense wants to pay those prices when a little patience or a
little discretion can get them for less, I'm all for it.  I'd just
rather see someone start an auction at a reasonable rate and let the
bidders do their work than basically jack the price up to double the
going rate just on the off-chance that some fool who thinks they are
"collectible" will pay that price.

And sorry, I'd say anyone who'd pay $450 for 6085, sealed in anything
less than a box along with a couple of Metroliners in it is a fool.

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
Lego Shop at Home: 800-835-4386 (USA) / 800-267-5346 (Canada)