 Marketplace / Auctions / 1124
    SeriousCollector —Larry Pieniazek
   Check THIS out: (URL) this isn't for real, it is one of the most elaborate practical/April Fool jokes I have ever seen. Note the anti sniping policy! Any bid keeps the auction alive for 24 hours. ** I LIKE that ** I am not so keen on having to give (...) (25 years ago, 2-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.announce)

        Re: SeriousCollector —Tim Vattima
     I checked this site out myself and was quite impressed by the presentation. If it is a hoax, someone spent a *lot* of time on it! I was especially concerned that the registration pages (where you enter credit-card info) were not HTTPS. Hmmmm... -Tim (...) (25 years ago, 3-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: SeriousCollector —Naji Norder
     (...) This part of the _About_ page bothers me: Along with the debut of The Serious Collector, comes the introduction of a proprietary auction methodology unique on the ^^^...^^^ world wide web. The Serious Collector employs the Aging-of-Bids (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

         Re: SeriousCollector —Mike Stanley
      Naji Norder <n.norderSPAMBLOCK@c...puter.org> wrote: <snip> (...) One thing I was wondering about - this site, on the bidding page at least, looks almost exactly like eBay (to the best of my recollection). I wonder if there have ever been any (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

         Re: SeriousCollector —Todd Lehman
     (...) Well, "aging-of-bids methodology" could mean lots of things. There's probably nothing truly proprietary or unique about it unless what they are referring to is some particular mathematical curve function within their code which no one else (...) (25 years ago, 5-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

         Re: SeriousCollector —Jasper Janssen
     (...) But seriouscollector.com may or may not know anything about that discussion. Is it on Dejanews? In that case, well, You could probably invalidate any patents they might file - but I doubt the patent office would know, and therefore not rant it (...) (25 years ago, 5-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        (canceled) —Derick Bulkley

         Re: SeriousCollector —Mike Stanley
     (...) <snip> (...) Wanted to make it clear that my statements about the similarities between SC and eBay weren't meant to be taken as complaints. I do like the site, especially from the standpoint of a buyer. Maybe if it catches on I'll consider (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)

        Re: SeriousCollector —Derick Bulkley
   The Serious Collector Ain't No Joke. We're establishing a serious collector's community - a better, service-oriented alternative to online fleamarkets. After holding a big Lego auction in the fall of 97, I started thinking about how the auctions we (...) (25 years ago, 4-Apr-99, to lugnet.market.auction)