 Marketplace / Auctions / 1134
Re: SeriousCollector
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.auction
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 15:43:24 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

http://www.seriouscollector.com/
. Note the anti sniping policy! Any bid keeps
the auction alive for 24 hours.  ** I LIKE that **

This part of the _About_ page bothers me:

Along with the debut of The Serious Collector, comes the
introduction of a proprietary auction methodology unique on the
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
world wide web. The Serious Collector employs the
Aging-of-Bids methodology for all its online auctions, which is
economically superior to timed auctions for the pricing of high value,
limited supply merchandise.

Is he trying to claim proprietary ownership on the concept that bids
don't have to close at a fixed time?  This isn't unique or proprietary.
EveryAuction software has had this available for years.  If I ever
decide to use the EveryAuction engine, I had already planned to kick its
default 5-minute delay up to, say 8-24 hours.  I would think that, when
he was planning his auction site, he would have at least looked at
EveryAuction, and that he would then know that his idea is not unique.

Other than that, the site looks nice; I don't have any desire to buy or
sell there right now, but I think that it could fit in to the online
collector's market.

Naji
n (dot) norder (at) computer (dot) org