 Marketplace / Appraisal / 730
Re: Appraiser for collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 03:24:57 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Jean-Marc Détraz wrote:
I believe that because I am not in a selling position, that an overall
collection has a different value than individual sets.

Very different, yes. Mostly because selling the collection as a whole attracts
almost nobody as buyers. You won't find many people willing to shell out
thousands of dollars for an entire AFOL collection.

Also 90% of my sets are for pieces only to build MOCs, therefore, once open
and incomplete, the value drops drastically.

I'm not sure if that's necessarily true when talking about a collection as a
whole. Or, not to much of a significant degree. It's true if you were selling
individual sets to be sure, but not this way. If the collection were small
enough such that a buyer might guestimate the value of the collection based on
sets included within it (say, 20 sets or so), then yes, since buyers would in
effect be buying set-by-set. But otherwise, selling a collection of 100+ sets,
the buyer probably isn't going to valuate the sets individually to get a price,
so I'd think completeness doesn't really factor in very much.

It seems that the weight might be the closest thing to do.

I'd expect a very low amount if you price by weight. By weight, Lego is in the
ballpark of 300-450 pieces per pound (I'd err closer to 350). And the general
going price for used Lego lots per pound on eBay is (I think) about $5.00 per
pound. You might expect a little more given that you're an AFOL rather than a
kid with a bunch of matchbox cars and such thrown in, but that's close to about
1/10th of the cost that you might expect if you sold per set.

It's an easy way to do your valuation, but it'll probably cost you in the
numbers.

Hard call for sure.

Definitely. But it really depends on what you're getting the price for. The best
valuation is generally to sell piece-by-piece rather than set-by-set, although
this method in practice means that you end up with a lot of unsold basic
elements like 1x2 black plates or 4-long technic axles, and it takes a
significantly long time to sell.

Hence, you could argue a "fair" price that's very high (sell piece-by-piece) and
very low (sell by pound). Deciding what's really "fair" in the middle depends on
the purpose of determining the price. For insurance purposes, you may want to go
high. If you were dividing assets in a difficult divorce, you might aim low. In
the end, the decision for valuation is probably going to lie with you, since you
know your collection best, and on whatever information you can find on similar
valuations done elsewhere.

Personally, for my insurance I valued my collection set-by-set (mostly because I
don't sell elements and buy most of my stuff in sets), and based it on average
BrickLink selling prices. My estimate came out to around $0.13 apiece,  or
around $27 per set.

DaveE