 Marketplace / Appraisal / 728
Re: Appraiser for collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.appraisal
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 01:44:10 GMT

In lugnet.market.appraisal, Jean-Marc Détraz wrote:
Hello community.

I would like to know if there is an official or reliable appraiser to establish
the value of a Lego collection.

Please let me know

Best regards, Jean-Marc

What I did was go through Bricklink, item by item and list the average price of
each set I owned in the computer.  This was not easy as I took into
consideration the condition of the box, the instructions and the bricks.  While
this might not be the best way, and took forever as I have almost 8200 sets,
some of which are not listed.  I also have monitored ebay for over 5 years and
kept a list of what the items sold for.  There was a guessemate that I also
incorporated into the value as you are really never sure what the condition of
the ebay item is.  Bricklink is an invaluable tool in that you can get the
average price, the number that sold over a period of time, and other
information.  Brinklink prices seem to come in a bit below ebay and you can look
up sets that have only instructions and that are missing the boxes.  I also took
into account how many were on sale on brick link and where they were located.
Since I am in the USA I also added a little to the value if the sets were only
available outside the USA.  It is not an easy chore, but I think that it is
worthwhile for a collection of any worth.
When I moved to El Paso I had a shipping box of Legos missing and since I had
done most of this and listed my sets on Lugnet, the Army went with my figures
and also with the proof that I owned the sets.  I then went to Bricklink and
computed what it would cost to replace these.  I had no trouble from the Army
collecting money for the missing Legos.  It was because of the research and
record keeping I had done before the loss.
Know what you have, assigned an accepted value to it and maintain a record.
Also remember that most insurance companys charge extra for collectables which
you have to declare.
John P