 Marketplace / Appraisal / 676
Re: How to insure your Lego collection
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.market.appraisal, lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 2003 21:23:12 GMT

In lugnet.general, Timothy Wade wrote:
   Greetings everyone. I hope I’ve posted in the right places for this query, and if not, I apologize.

I’m in the process of moving to a new residence, and seriously began to consider renters insurance. I can come up with figures for my TV, computer, Doctor Who book collection, etc, but I was wondering what others might consider to be the best way to judge the value of your collection of legs?

(for refernce, I’ve been collecting since 1981 or 82, and have no idea exactly all the sets I might own).

Any thoughts, ideas, comments?

Thanks Timothy Wade

At Brickswest 2003, I presented just this topic. You can see a copy of the presentation here:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/brickswest/2003/Presentations/session03_insuring_your_lego_collection.pdf

I currenlty have renter’s insurnace with All State in IL and I have provided my agnet with a LIST of all the LEGO I have, their retail value, what their current makket value is. I further have an application called The Inventory Collection (you can get a demo here: http://am_production.tripod.com/index.htm (look under products -> TIC)

This application lets me track all my legos, in terms of sets. bulk, etc.. I can add images for each record and make various reports. One of the reports called entire inventory is what I provide my insuarnce agent for his records.

You need to make sure that your agent knows you want “EXTRA insurance called a floater over here in IL” for just your lego collection.

ANother route to go with with a collector’s insurance company. In the presentation I provide some company links.

Hope this helps, email me if you want additional info on the application or anything else.

-AHui

A&M Productions